Purpose of the role
Our business unit is a team of committed scientists, engineers economists and modellers. We provide truly challenging projects and work to solve them in a collaborative and innovative manner. Each member of our team brings unique expertise and experience. Every member of the team leads projects, as you grow your projects get bigger and more complex. But your work will be needed on every project in our portfolio; giving true variety to your work.
We are looking for skilled people with the drive, experience and tenacity to take on challenging projects.
In this role you will primarily be supporting a number of innovative modelling projects using a range of commercial and open source modelling tools. You will be designing the approaches to modelling and supporting the modification of the tools to perform in non-standard ways. You will be expected to contribute to dissemination of the projects findings both to our key stakeholders and to the wider community through involvement at the major international modelling conferences.
- Working with the team to deliver transport models and novel modelling capabilities
- Collect, manipulate and enter data, and apply technical/scientific principles and theories
- Carry out analyses, interpret and record data/outputs and produce technical report to a high standard
- Compare findings to relevant studies and regulations to ensure compliance
- Work under supervision of a project manager or senior-level team member
- Attend internal/external project briefing
- Assist in the preparation of client briefs, assessments and reports
- Contribute to the design of impact studies
- Assist in the technical preparation of proposals for internal approval and bids
- Actively seek out new modelling techniques and use of emerging technologies and develop relationships with other modellers and developers to enhance our knowledge and encourage new companies to engage with the transport systems catapult
- Be willing to apply yourself to learning new skills and technologies
- Produce high quality reports, presentations and analysis to support the dissemination of project findings.
- Contribute to the dissemination of project and research outputs, attending conference and events
Required skills and experience
- Experience in carrying out strategic modelling studies using SATURN, CUBE, VISUM etc.
- Experience in the calibration and validation of transport models and applying best practice (e.g. WebTAG)
- Knowledge/Experience of producing and contributing towards feasibility studies gained in consultancy/academia
- Knowledge/Experience in using statistical analysis techniques
- Relevant undergraduate degree and ideally post graduate qualification (Masters / PhD)
- Experience in traffic microsimulation modelling studies using standard modelling packages (such as Vissim, Aimsun, Paramics)
- Experience of using GIS packages e.g. Mapinfo, ArcView or QGis to analyse transport data
- Experience in the use of statistical software packages (e.g. “R” and/or “SPSS”)
- Knowledge in most common programming languages (e.g. Python, C++, Java)
- Excellent report writing and communication skills
- Knowledge/Experience in working with digital databases (PostgreSQL/PostGIS)
- Highly analytical, with an investigative mindset, and willing to learn new techniques and tools
- Ability to adjust both approach and communication style in tune with the selected audience
- Can-do, positive attitude; look for ways to accomplish tasks without detailed guidance
- Ability to manage multiple projects efficiently and able to meet deadlines
- Proactive approach to problem solving
- Collaborative and non-hierarchical style of working