Purpose of the role
We are looking for creative and energetic individuals with a passion for making a difference. Different projects require different levels of technical support; this gives the role variety and interest, and so requires an adaptable person who enjoys collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders. Projects can range from high-level feasibility studies, systems development, to physical demonstrator projects and real-world trials so we cover typical systems engineering tasks with a focus on innovative technology. Modelling and simulation may also be used to support some of those activities.
- Providing systems engineering support on projects developing transport systems or related technologies, which could include:
- Developing system requirements
- Providing safety and risk assessment support.
- Creation of test and validation plans.
- Supporting system development through simulation.
- Supporting the formation and creation of new regulatory and/or legislative policies for new and emerging transport solutions
- Engage with partner companies and organisations to provide technical support in the development of novel transport solutions
- Contribute ideas for new and novel transport solutions for road, rail and aviation
In addition, your responsibilities may include:
- Support the project Technical Lead where you may lead individual work-packages and take decisions on those work packages under the supervision of the Technical Lead.
- Support in scoping of new projects
Required skills and experience
For candidates with previous industrial experience, essential skills will include:
- Research and Development experience having demonstrated sound technical knowledge in one or more of:
- Development of system requirements, ideally in a relevant industry (e.g. aviation, rail, road, marine)
- Failure mode and fault mode analysis approaches
- Preparation of test and validation documentation
- Proven experience of delivering assigned project tasks to a high standard of quality.
- Previous experience of authoring technical reports
Candidates with a relevant academic background at either undergraduate or post-graduate level but no existing industrial experience may also be considered.
The role will often require coping with ambiguity and being prepared to refine the scope of tasks before commencing work.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Contributing to technical feasibility studies for new or novel technologies or systems.
- Knowledge of, and ideally use of, simulation tools for transport: Examples could include CarMaker / PreScan, Gazebo, Matlab/Simulink, VRep
- Experience of having contributed to a process improvement
- Systems or system safety analysis, ideally using relevant industry standards
- Knowledge of 1 or more relevant standards, such as
- EN 50126, EN 50128.
- Misra Safety guidelines.
- Railways and Other Guided Transport Regulations (ROGS).
- Common Safety Method for Risk Evaluation and Assessment (CSM-RA).
- DefStan 00-56.
- Technically competent with a good understanding of the technology within your field
- A self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision and take task level decisions with a desire to drive the creation of better transport solutions
- Effective communication skills and high standard of written English