Website Connected Places Catapult
About Connected Places Catapult
Connected Places Catapult (CPC) is the UK’s innovation accelerator for cities, transport, and places. We provide impartial ‘innovation as a service’ for public bodies, businesses, and infrastructure providers to catalyse step-change improvements in the way people live, work and travel. We connect businesses and public sector leaders to cutting-edge research to spark innovation and grow new markets.
CReDo: a Climate Resilience Demonstrator project
CReDo is a climate adaptation technical demonstrator project that showcases how, by combining data about different infrastructure systems, an integrated approach to system-level resilience and robustness is possible. CReDo has so far focused on a flooding use case and has been enabled by collaboration between Anglian Water, BT and UK Power Networks. Asset data has been combined with coastal and fluvial flood data from the Environment Agency to understand surface water flooding under a range of future climate change scenarios. This builds a picture of system impact from flooding scenarios which would not otherwise be available to the individual networks or regulators who would only see the impact of flooding on their own networks. This cross-sector picture of impact of extreme weather events on the infrastructure system can enable asset owners and regulators to better understand infrastructure interdependencies and identify the most effective, least cost and lowest carbon impact interventions to increase resilience.
CReDo is a collaborative project, with contributors from a range of academic and industry partners to date – including the Centre of Digital Built Britain at Cambridge University, who led the showcasing of CReDo at COP26. CReDo is moving into a second phase, and we are looking for a Senior Product Manager to lead this project to success over the next 12 months. You can find out more about CReDo on the Digital Twin Hub here.
Purpose of the role
The Applied Data & Technology team at CPC is a multidisciplinary team of technologists, data scientists and engineers, software engineers, service designers and researchers. The team plays an important role in enabling CPC to successfully meet its strategic objectives to build the economy and develop UK businesses. We work across a diverse project portfolio and technology areas in support of domains like rail and stations, air mobility and airports, maritime and logistics, integrated infrastructure, homes and housing and place leadership.
As places become more populated and connected, and respond to emergent agendas around net zero, regional economic growth, and post-pandemic recovery and resilience there is an ever increasing need to make use of data for better decision making and to underpin new technological innovations. From supporting local authorities and central government to make better use of data to deliver new homes against a backdrop housing crisis, to building digital twins that help rail stations support social distancing measures, our projects demonstrate the art of the possible and pull technical ideas through to an applied setting. We take an enabling role in the innovation ecosystem – often working with new businesses to support an emerging product or service or acting as thought leaders.
The Senior Product Manager will play an important role in this flagship strategic investment project for CPC. The role will involve leading on engagement with diverse stakeholders including infrastructure asset owners, hosting providers, technology development partners, academics and government, honing use cases and understanding user need for the next phase of the demonstrator, and working with technology delivery partners to ensure the technical roadmap for the project is aligned to those use cases, the strategic purpose of the project for CPC, and make the case for integrated approaches to infrastructure planning for resilience.
- Work closely with asset owners such as power, water and telecoms networks and other key stakeholders such as government departments and regulators, aligning stakeholders around the vision for the climate resilience demonstrator
- Support the Data Science and Software Engineering Team Lead and other team members in a consolidation phase for the work done so far
- Liaise externally with collaborators and asset owner end users to define clear needs and objectives for CReDo Phase 2, understand and represent user needs
- Network externally and work with Comms teams and other CPC teams such as the Connected Digital Twins team to provide appropriate content to build momentum, opportunities and consensus for CReDo
- Build the product vision and roadmap, prioritizing product features and capabilities
- Manage the product backlog and oversee priorities in development sprints
- Work with technical teams to assess technical challenges, coordinate in-house teams and third-party consultants to deliver
Required skills and experience
- Previous experience in delivering innovative projects and products
- Strong track record of successful stakeholder engagement in a technical context
- Enjoy forming relationships, inspiring teams around a common purpose and significant prior experience in successfully deploying innovative products
- A confident influencer and communicator with the ability to adapt style and message for a variety of different audiences
- Possess a strong combination of technology plus stakeholder engagement skills
- Experienced in design and product leadership with a clear understanding of how to understand and prioritise user needs
- Hands-on product manager and desire to work in a fast paced, ever-moving environment
- Experience working in innovative companies at the cutting edge of their fields
- Experience with scientific modelling especially environmental modeling, an understanding of climate resilience in the context of key infrastructure systems and utilities systems
Holiday entitlement – 25 days holiday entitlement for everyone
Pension Scheme – We offer a competitive pension plan, helping you save for your future
Volunteering – Whether you’re looking to clean up a beach, are a school governor or charity trustee, want to support a local charitable event or use your skills and experience as part of a mentoring scheme for SMEs we are here to support you with two paid days of volunteering leave per year
Payroll Giving – Our Payroll Giving Scheme with GiveAll, is a flexible option which allows anyone who pays UK income tax to give back to their charity of choice on a regular basis from your pre-tax income – helping your money go further to those who need it the most
Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) – Provided by Health Assured, our EAP offers 24/7 confidential work/life support services to you and your immediate family members
Cycle to Work Scheme – We love to cycle and as well as bike racks and showers at our two office locations, you can spread the cost of a new bike over a 12 or 18 month period, through payroll deductions
Cash Health Plan – We’ve teamed up with SimplyHealth to offer you a range of generous health and wellbeing cash plans. This benefit allows you to be reimbursed for a wide range of both essential and everyday healthcare expense
Tech Loans – As an innovative, early adopter and future thinker, you’ll want the latest gadgets, so you have the option of buying any IT equipment and repaying it through payroll deductions
Discounts and Offers – We linked up with Sodexo to provide you with a range of offers from a wide variety of retailers
Keeping all our colleagues safe is our first priority, especially during the COVID-19 Pandemic. We are back in our offices and all staff will have a working week both in the office and days at home as part of our Hybrid working model.