WMCA’s Procurement team is expanding to meet the needs of our growing organisation. We’re making a significant investment in our people and systems to strengthen our offering and we’re now looking for a number of procurement professionals to the team.
Procurement plays a key role in the delivery of WMCA’s business objectives. Our services range from setting strategic direction for collaborative and efficient supply chain management to specification development and contract award.
The Procurement team is responsible for continuously improving practices, having regard to economy, efficiency and effectiveness through planned and skilful management of procurement and supply chains. Procurement activity is delivered in line with the WMCA Constitution and Public Procurement Regulations.
As Procurement Lead Officer, reporting to the Senior Procurement Lead, you will be responsible for leading and managing complex and strategic collaborative and local procurement projects across a range of categories – Professional Services, Organisational Development, Financial Services, Facilities IT, Transport and Rail Projects to ensure their effective delivery in line with customer requirements and timescales & the WMCA constitution.
What will you be doing?
- Provide innovative procurement advice, and develop and implement appropriate procurement sourcing methodologies that align to business priorities in order to deliver best value, innovation and compliant contractual arrangements
- Develop and maintain appropriate relationships with internal customers, key stakeholders, public, private and third sector suppliers; develops relationships with partner authorities and other government bodies where appropriate
- Actively search for, and promote collaborative, lean and inventive working practices across the WMCA landscape
- Raise the profile of procurement through the increase of cross-functional team working and networking with internal customers, stakeholders and the supply base
- Management of a procurement portfolio for allocated support areas
- Support mobilisation post contract award by leading on specific contract management processes, supplier relationship management, ongoing performance management and specific contract implementation
- Ensure all tender instructions provided to suppliers are clear and transparent
- Ensure appropriate Governance is in place
- Ensure appropriate systems are fully utilised ranging from inviting quotations/tenders to raising through to payment of invoices
- Ensure contract databases are developed and kept current
We are looking for a pro-active individual who can take the initiative and knows how to get things done. Purchasing experience is essential. You’ll be able to demonstrate the ability to develop effective procurement strategies (using appropriate tools and techniques), lead on engaging and evaluating tender responses, undertake bid conditioning and bid clarification, award contracts, manage supplier relationships and performance and undertake supplier and contract management activities. Below is an indicative list of what we are looking for.
- Strategic sourcing knowledge and experience (essential)
- Experience of computerised financial systems (essential)
- Ability to build credibility with key stakeholders and obtain their ‘buy in’ (essential)
- Experience of influencing senior management to accept and endorse proposals, procedures, systems and methods of working (essential)
- Able to effectively present information, proposals and ideas whilst engaging the audience and clearly communicating the benefits of change (essential)
- Able to communicate and negotiate with third parties, external stakeholders and others with a relationship with WMCA to ensure the optimum outcome (essential)
- Track record of ability to deliver against targets (essential)
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply at MCIPS level (desirable)
- Knowledge of Adult Education/Housing/Energy sector (desirable)
- Previous experience working with Public Sector Organisations (desirable)
- Experience of e-tendering systems is (desirable)
Even if you don’t match everything we are looking for, but believe you have got what it takes, then we would still like to hear from you.
About the team
Our Finance & Business Hub provides essential high-quality, responsive, and agile enabling services to the West Midlands Combined Authority and its directorates in areas such as human resources, procurement, commercial investments, assurance and appraisal, financial control and administration, and financial and business planning and performance reporting.
We are a cohesive team of forward thinking, insightful, innovative and high-performing professionals who, through our consultative and business partnering approach, influence, support and coach managers and senior leaders to help them achieve business objectives. By doing so, we help to ensure sound decisions are made and it is in this capacity that we are seen as a respected point of contact within the organisation.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
We’re ambitious, forward thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done, and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications – bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Procurement Lead Officer – Role Profile.docx