Please note: we are working hard to create a space for our employees to search and apply for jobs within the Combined Authority. Until this time, we are publishing ‘Internal Only’ jobs externally. This role is only open to employees of the West Midlands Combined Authority.
This is a lead role in assessing and reporting organisational performance against WMCA’s strategic objectives. The post holder will support the development of a Performance Management Framework, which forms the basis for measuring and reporting performance against strategic objectives, and will take the lead in operating and maintaining the Framework. This requires the capture and analysis of all performance information, from investment and non-investment activity, which contributes to WMCA’s strategic objectives. The post holder will be responsible for the production of holistic performance reviews and reports which provide an independent assessment to WMCA Boards, Senior Leadership Team and key stakeholders on the extent to which strategic objectives are being met and issues requiring remedial action.
What will you be doing?
- Support the development of a Performance Management Framework which provides a structure for linking activities, outputs and outcomes to WMCA’s strategic objectives, annual planning process and identifies a performance reporting process and cycle
- Operate and maintain the Performance Management Framework, managing a process of continuous improvement to ensure that the Framework meets the needs of all parts of WMCA, its Boards and key stakeholders
- Identify the suite of performance information required by different WMCA and stakeholder audiences and the cycle for reporting such information
- Develop and operate systems and processes to capture and validate performance information
- Produce performance reports for WMCA senior management, Boards and stakeholders which assess progress against the delivery of WMCA’s strategic objectives through the Investment Programme and other activities, highlighting risks and issues and required remedial action as appropriate
This role is being offered on a 12 month fixed term basis.
Below is a list of the essential and desirable skills that we are looking for. Even if you don’t match with everything that we are looking for, but believe you have what it takes to perform this role, please still apply.
- Demonstrated ability to develop solutions to complex problems and have the ability to manage potentially delicate situations
- Confidence and ability to challenge information provided in a non-confrontational way
- Demonstrated professionalism and competence in all interactions with stakeholders
- Understanding and experience of performance management techniques and models in a complex business environment
- High degree of organisational and cultural awareness with the ability to deal with conflict
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrating high proficiency in stakeholder management, partnership and influence
- Ability to work under pressure whilst maintaining personal performance
- Degree level or equivalent in a related discipline
- Experience of managing the implementation of economic strategies with a good understanding of logic chains which link activities to economic and social impacts
- Experience of working with spatially based economic data sets and using these as a measurement of performance against strategic objectives
- Knowledge and experience of performance management techniques and model
- PRINCE2 or MSP Foundation or Practitioner or equivalent (desirable)
- Membership of a relevant professional body (desirable)
- Experience of delivering programmes in a strategic context with an understanding of how investment and non-investment activity can contribute to wider strategic objectives (desirable)
About the team
Our Finance & Business Hub provides essential high-quality, responsive, and agile enabling services to the West Midlands Combined Authority and its directorates in areas such as human resources, procurement, commercial investments, assurance and appraisal, financial control and administration, and financial and business planning and performance reporting.
We are a cohesive team of forward thinking, insightful, innovative and high-performing professionals who, through our consultative and business partnering approach, influence, support and coach managers and senior leaders to help them achieve business objectives. By doing so, we help to ensure sound decisions are made and it is in this capacity that we are seen as a respected point of contact within the organisation.