We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to join the Clean Energy & Infrastructure team to help deliver Innovation Exchange (iX), a key enabling initiative through which KTN provides cross-sector impact. iX links organisations and public sector bodies that have ‘here and now’ challenges with a broad, cross-sectorial innovation community. Thus, iX connects people who wouldn’t ordinarily meet to solve technical challenges through innovation and joined up thinking.
The challenge holders and solution providers alike could be large enterprises, SMEs, public bodies or academia.
The successful candidate will identify potential challenge holders, ideally utilising their own network or contacts, and lead them through the iX process to the point at which they can engage with potential solution providers. This will involve organising and running technical discussions with senior stakeholders, identifying cross-sector synergies, and managing multi-player projects. In addition, the role holder will work with colleagues across KTN to (i) progress and convert a pipeline of potential challenges and (ii) extend the reach to potential solution providers.
iX has a core focus on Clean Energy & Urban challenges and is, in effect, a Net Zero oriented programme which links to KTN Transport, Agri, Chemistry & Industrial Biotech, Defence, Health and Global Alliance communities. The post holder will, therefore, need a good technical background in clean energy, infrastructure/construction or water as a utility, while demonstrating the breadth of thinking to spot, articulate and develop cross-sectoral opportunities.
In addition to the above, the role involves providing innovation support to companies working in clean energy, infrastructure, water and associated industries as part of the broader KTN remit. This will involve driving knowledge transfer between the science base and industry, promoting networking and enabling innovation.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver Innovation Exchange (iX) challenges across a range of sectors
- Support colleagues in the conversion of pending iX challenges and pipeline.
- Identify and monitor trends and opportunities for innovation through interaction with business and the technology base.
- Facilitate networking opportunities for industry to meet with peers and potential collaborators through the organisation of workshops and meetings.
- Meet with companies, research institutions and universities, in the UK, to understand their innovation needs and capabilities (face to face or online).
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with external stakeholders, departments, forums, and groups active in related areas.
- Deliver and assist in the support of new funding streams related to industrial challenges including delivering collaboration events.
- Work with the CE&I team to identify technology needs and cross-sector solution opportunities for growth of UK Industry.
- Understand and facilitate access to innovation support mechanisms for businesses and to help develop funding and investment applications.
- Promote the benefits of KTN and innovation within a business context to the UK sector including the preparation of promotional material and the use of various media.
- Develop cross-community activity within KTN to help build new iX opportunities.
- Liaise closely with KTN staff across all sectors and technologies to ensure a good understanding of other sector activities, to ensure well informed and integrated working and a wider reach for potential solutions to challenges.
- Produce articles for newsletters, blogs of interest to our members and similar media.
- Organise meetings, workshops and networking events in a variety of commercial and scientific areas.
- Undertake necessary administrative duties including the timely completion of accurate reports, meeting minutes, timesheets and expenses.
- Maintain and disseminate an up-to-date view and thought leadership content, including technology developments, key innovators, market trends/needs and business funding opportunities.
- The role will require regular UK travel including overnight at times and possibly some European or global travel. Please note that the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to change the amount of travel KTN will do going forward and currently it is difficult to define the level of travel required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree level educated or equivalent experience.
- Experience of technology or product development within an industrial and/or academic environment.
- Ability to bring together stakeholders to deliver on a project or task.
- Business development or Tech Transfer in a multi-sector, technology organisation desirable.
- Well networked to potential challenge holders
- An understanding energy, infrastructure and water technologies and their interplay with other sectors
- Energy, infrastructure and water innovation landscapes & current trends
Desirable but not essential:
- Ideally a post-graduate degree and/or industrial experience in the clean energy, infrastructure or water sectors.
- Business development or Tech Transfer in a multi-sector, technology organisation.
- Organising & delivering events and/or workshops
- Well networked to potential challenge holders
- Awareness of open innovation and its delivery
- Awareness of the innovation grant funding landscape (e.g., Innovate UK)
Skills and Competencies
- Readily identifies business opportunities & delivers a programme of work to advance the knowledge base or business innovation
- Goal orientated
- Motivated & a self-starter
- Ability to work alone & part of a team
- Able to work concurrently on multiple and/or large-scale projects
- Adaptable & reliable with good interpersonal & time management skills
- Forward focused & ambitious to achieve impact
- Highly numerate & analytical
- Ability to prioritise & meet deadlines
- Excellent presentation skills both in a physical environment and using a full range of on-line tools and techniques.
- Well-developed written & verbal skills, able to translate complex topics for a broad audience
- IT literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft packages
- This role has a salary between £39,500 and £49,500 pa.
- 28 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays, pro rata.
- Enhanced Pension Plan
- Life Assurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Wider Wallet employee benefits high street discounts scheme.
- Opportunities for continuous professional development as part of our Talent & Development Programme
This advert will close on Thursday 14th October 2021, though some circumstances may require us to close earlier, so early application is advised.
Please apply by submitting a tailored cover letter outlining your suitability with specifics relating to the requirements of the role, and your resumé outlining your experience.
Currently, during this extended lockdown period, this position is based from home. After the extended lockdown period, the postholder will be home based or out of our London, Harwell or Edinburgh Offices.
Applicants must have the existing and ongoing right to work in the U.K. without restrictions as sponsorship for visas is not provided.
Unfortunately, owing to the high number of applications received, we can only provide feedback to applicants selected for interview.
Applications are to be received by the October 14, 2021