Purpose of the role
There is an increasing trend towards all-virtual synthesis for engineering applications ranging from electronics and quantum to medicines and virology. One such area is Computational Medicine (aka in silico medicine), which is an emerging discipline devoted to developing quantitative approaches for understanding the mechanisms, diagnosis, and treatment of human disease through the systematic application of mathematics, engineering and computational science.
We are looking for a determined, bright, analytical and goal-orientated individual to join our Emerging Technologies team. The post requires someone who understands modelling & simulation technologies and their application to different market sectors, but also someone with a general enthusiasm for networking and building connections across a spectrum of different sectors and disciplines.
The successful candidate will also be required to support internal-facing projects, supporting KTN’s digitisation activities.
This role will work closely with other KTN sector teams to identify and understand how modelling & simulation technologies relate to other emerging and established sectors. Time will also be spent either supporting the existing projects of the broader team, developing new projects in the form of an Innovation Network or working with internal teams on company-specific projects. (Innovation Networks are a very high-profile activity at KTN and a mechanism for delivering cross convening activity with cross disciplinary teams. They are strategically important, innovative and have external visibility.)
Approximately one third of the role will also support KTN’s broader business development activities – helping to expand our portfolio of customers and working on a more diverse set of projects across the business.
Role and Responsibilities
- Building and maintaining a good rapport with key stakeholders with an interest in modelling & simulation, from relevant companies, universities, research & technology organisations, government departments.
- Facilitating collaborations and investment that drive innovation in the UK.
- Working with Sector teams within KTN and Innovate UK, and external businesses to identify new applications of modelling & simulation technologies in different markets.
- Identifying income generating projects and proposal writing Delivery of KTN plans .
- To directly engage with University groups and businesses through making new connections and collaborations, both within and across evolving supply chains, and providing access to funding.
- To design, plan and deliver events and workshops and author reports if applicable.
- To actively facilitate and contribute to cross-sector collaborations.
- To track outcomes resulting from KTN interventions, seeking case studies and metrics capture.
- To contribute to KTN-wide internal communications and projects, helping colleagues as required.
- To support KPI delivery and provide regular reporting of activity and outcomes.
- Degree in mathematics, science or engineering, or relevant industrial experience in a science or technology-based business.
- PhD Desirable but not essential.
- In-depth knowledge of modelling and simulation technologies.
- A broad interest across other scientific disciplines.
- Awareness of the innovation grant funding landscape (e.g. Innovate UK) is desirable but not essential.
- Comfort in communicating across all levels of an organisation, from the bench to the boardroom
- Well-developed written & verbal skills, able to translate complex topics for a broad audience.
- IT literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft packages.
- Good presentation skills
- Motivated & a self-starter.
- Ability to work alone & part of a team.
- Able to deliver effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Adaptable & reliable with good interpersonal & time management skills.
- A good networker.
- This role has a salary between £32,000 and £40,000 pa.
- 28 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays
- Enhanced Pension Plan with KTN contributing up to 10%
- Life Assurance, 4 x salary
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Wider Wallet employee benefits high street discounts scheme.
- Opportunities for continuous professional development as part of our Talent & Development Programme
This advert will close on Tuesday 19th October 2021, though some circumstances may require us to close earlier, so early application is advised.
Please apply by submitting a tailored cover letter outlining your suitability with specifics relating to the requirements of the role, and your CV outlining your experience.
Currently, during this extended lockdown period, this position is based from home.
After the extended lockdown period, the postholder will be home based or out of our London, Harwell or Edinburgh Offices
Applicants must have the existing and ongoing right to work in the U.K. without restrictions as sponsorship for visas is not provided.
Unfortunately, owing to the high number of applications received, we can only provide feedback to applicants selected for interview.
Applications are to be received by the October 19, 2021