Purpose of the role
KTN is seeking to recruit a versatile, personable and goal-orientated individual with a technical background in chemistry and relevant experience to join the Chemistry & Industrial Biotechnology team to lead and support the delivery of existing programmes that will accelerate the transition to a Net Zero and Circular Economy. Existing programmes include those accelerating innovation in energy storage (batteries, hydrogen), industrial decarbonisation and low-carbon fuels (sustainable aviation fuel).
The individual will need to be team player with excellent interpersonal skills, working closely with colleagues in other sector teams and other parts of the business. They will need to have excellent communication skills and be comfortable engaging with a broad range of stakeholders from industry, research and Government. Ideally, they will already have a strong network of relevant contacts across these stakeholder groups. They must have excellent organisation skills and project management experience.
This individual will have a technical background and knowledge in the field of chemistry in green/ sustainable chemistry or applied inorganic chemistry for energy storage, or related. The individual will have a good understanding of the challenges and opportunities for the chemical sector and of commercialisation of chemical processes/ technologies. Ideally, they will bring experience from working inside the chemical (or an adjacent) sector or with this sector (e.g. as a consultant). KTN has strategic priorities around Sustainability, Net Zero, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in innovation and developing global partnerships. These provide the context within which the sector expertise will be primarily targeted.
You will help develop our business development pipeline, scoping out new projects where the KTN Chemistry & Industrial Biotechnology Team can play a key role in enabling positive change in areas that align with our Strategy.
- Support the delivery of planned activities, including those associated with the Cross-Sector Batteries Innovation Network, Hydrogen Economy Innovation Network and Sustainable Aviation Fuel.
- Engage with businesses directly and provide support through knowledge transfer, making relevant new connections and facilitating collaborations.
- Support knowledge transfer activities, such as themed workshops, to deliver to key priority areas as identified by existing and future programmes.
- Capture KPIs, success stories from projects and workshops for case studies and impact measures.
- Work alongside our marketing team to deliver Thought Leadership pieces (e.g blogs, podcasts, etc) that help to communicate challenges and opportunities in our sector.
- Work across KTN, to maximise opportunities for cross-sector and multidisciplinary collaboration and innovation.
- Work alongside colleagues to help develop new business development opportunities
- Help to inform Government policy by gathering and analysing evidence around the innovation priorities & challenges that are holding back industry investment in key areas associated with the move towards a Net Zero and Circular Economy.
- Technical background (PhD or equivalent) in Chemistry, particularly in green/ sustainable chemistry or applied inorganic chemistry for energy storage, or a related discipline
- 5-years experience working inside the chemical (or chemical-using) industry or with this sector (e.g. as a consultant or with a Research and Training Organisation).
- Demonstrable experience of stakeholder engagement and management
- Demonstrable experience of project management
- The ideal candidate will be familiar with the UK innovation ecosystem
- Highly motivated, self-starting and results oriented individual with a strong desire to deliver economic, environmental and societal impacts through collaborative partnerships
- Team player with good relationship building and influencing skills; enjoys working in a collaborative manner in an open, honest, and diverse environment
- Strong communicator with well-developed written and verbal skills, able to translate complex topics for a broad audience
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with and understand the needs and capabilities with stakeholders across a range of technical and/or industrial disciplines
- High level of IT literacy and organisational skills
- This role has a salary between £38,500 and £50,000 pa.
- 28 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays, pro rata.
- Enhanced Pension Plan with KTN contributing up to 10%
- Life Assurance, 4 x salary
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Wider Wallet employee benefits high street discounts scheme.
- Opportunities for continuous professional development as part of our Talent & Development Programme
This advert will close on Tuesday 19th October 2021, though some circumstances may require us to close earlier, so early application is advised.
This is a fixed term contract running for 18 months.
Please apply by submitting a tailored cover letter outlining your suitability with specifics relating to the requirements of the role, and your CV outlining your experience.
Currently, during this extended lockdown period, this position is based from home.
After the extended lockdown period, the postholder will be home based or out of our London, Harwell or Edinburgh Offices
Applicants must have the existing and ongoing right to work in the U.K. without restrictions as sponsorship for visas is not provided.
Unfortunately, owing to the high number of applications received, we can only provide feedback to applicants selected for interview.
Applications are to be received by the October 19, 2021