Website University of Warwick
Indefinite, 2 positions available
WMG is a rapidly expanding academic department, with a wide portfolio of customers across its research, teaching and administrative staff. This is a great opportunity to play a key part in ensuring the secure and efficient operation of our core IT systems, keeping the business moving and providing great customer service.
With demonstrable operations experience in a primarily Microsoft based environment, you will have a keen interest in delivering a responsive service and be an experienced problem solver to enable quick resolution of technical issues as they appear.
With specialist knowledge of Microsoft operating systems and solutions, you will also have an interest in relevant new technologies and a broad understanding of other IT specialisms.
Possessing a degree or technical equivalent (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate or better) you will have demonstrable experience in Microsoft computer hardware / software configuration and a thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Windows 10, and the Microsoft 365 suite, supported by further experience of the Microsoft System Center product suite particularly Configuration Manager.
In return we will provide you with a great range of benefits which include an attractive pension scheme, 26 days holiday plus bank holidays and Christmas closure, some fantastic savings on a wide range of products and services, and excellent learning and development opportunities.
At WMG we are committed to supporting staff to achieve their potential. We currently hold the Athena SWAN Silver Award, and the University of Warwick holds an Institutional Silver Award: a national initiative that recognizes the advancement of gender equality, representation, progression, and success for all in academia. We are supportive of staff with caring responsibilities including a generous maternity/paternity/adoption/parental leave policy, and onsite childcare facilities. We will consider applications for employment on a part-time or other flexible working basis, even where a position is advertised as full-time, unless there are operational or other objective reasons why it is not possible to do so.
To support and develop the running of the WMG’s IT facilities. The reliable and efficient operation of these facilities is essential for WMG’s teaching, research, administration and WMG’s external partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Working within a technical team to manage the Microsoft Windows 10 clients for the facility, a highly complex and specialist task involving such diverse aspects as Group Policy, User profiles, software packaging and deployment, and licensing and reporting, using Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2012R2/Microsoft Endpoint Manager.
2. Support WMG’s current and new IT systems for research, teaching and administration. Helping to ensure the effective running of WMG’s desktops, laptops and student labs across all WMG buildings on main campus and our other sites.
3. Install, configure, develop and repair PC Systems, Servers and networked print devices to meet the demands of both individual staff and of the wider teaching and research programmes.
4. Troubleshooting and upgrading software applications, including regular upgrade & testing of PC platforms for both Windows 10 updates and associated software such as Microsoft365 technologies and also for appropriate hardware evaluations.
5. Provide pro-active helpdesk support function to users at a 2nd and 3rd line level. Handling helpdesk requests such as hardware and software troubleshooting, configuration changes, software use support, network settings and network port patching/configuration.
6. Responsible for all in house network connectivity requests supporting VLAN’s definition, design, planning, and implementation; use of Fluke testers to confirm connectivity and endpoint configurations; capacity planning as necessary while ensuring a high level of customer experience in this area.
7. Taking all practical measures to ensure the physical and information security of all IT equipment is applied with support for firewalls, virus protection, and CyberEssentials activities are delivered to prevent any disruption to the teaching, administrative and research activities.
8. Install, configure and test Audio-visual equipment to be used in WMG rooms on request through standard service models to time and quality targets.
9. Aid in the lifecycle of IT equipment incorporating the standard purchase through to disposal of redundant IT related equipment in accordance with the various procedures and regulations.