The essence of this role
Reporting to the CTO, you will translate business needs to technical requirements and specifications for cloud-based portfolio of products, while improving the efficiency and operations of SaaS products. You will support technical review and have a passion to design and improve digital solutions to be deployed at scale. Within this role you will be expected to perform internal audits and support R&D projects at the infrastructure level in the areas of IoT, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning. Our ideal candidate will be familiar with the software development life cycle (SDLC) from preliminary system analysis to tests and deployment. Ultimately, the role of the Cloud Architect is to design and lead the development of highly scalable IT infrastructure working closely with Software Development teams, in a genuine DevSecOps environment.
The responsibilities of the Cloud Architect are as follows:
- Serve as a technical resource and subject matter expert during the full SDLC of SaaS products from conception, design, implementation and testing to documentation and delivery. Develop flowcharts, layouts and documentation to identify requirements and solutions
- Translate client business requirements into a technical design with little oversight. Comply with project plans and industry standards.
- Define technical tasks and estimates required to implement a design.
- Design and architect automation pipelines for scalable deployment, cloud migration or cloud native solutions for distributed systems and applications.
- Produce specifications and determine operational feasibility.
- Perform analysis of best practices and emerging concepts in Cloud, DevSecOps, Infrastructure Automation, and Network Security.
- Drive creation of reference architectures to continuously improve the quality and consistency of cloud infrastructure solutions, by balancing operations/SLAs vs costs.
- Analyse and address risk factors in deliverables, and communicates/propose risk preventions and reduction approaches for adoption while providing architecture, design and assessments. drive discussions around risk mitigation, trade-offs and best practices.
- Design and hardening of virtual networks, firewalls, load balancers, and virtual machines.
- Solve technical problems across multiple technologies, developing new methods if required by building prototypes and pilots to prove concepts.
- Write well-designed, testable orchestration procedures, including software code.
- Document and maintain IT infrastructure functionality for SaaS by implementing health monitoring and alerting; ensuring health alerts are managed and dealt with
- 5+ years of experience in Cloud technology with 2+ years of Azure is essential
- Strong background in Windows/Linux/Unix Administration (ideally via ADAM, Active Directory, LDAP, ADFS)
- Strong experience with SQL and MSSQL/MySQL (NoSQL experience is a plus, too)
- Good understanding of networking: TCP/IP, IP addresses, HTTP, DNS
- Designing and hardening virtual networks, firewalls, load balancers, and virtual machines.
- Security in the cloud is important, and consequently, a high-level understanding of key security concepts, towards multi-cloud deployments
- Experience with automation/configuration management using either Puppet, Chef, Ansible, SaltStack, Power Shell, Terraform or equivalent (ideally, blending with software development practices like version control, along the lines of IaaC, etc.) along with containers (docker) and container management (e.g., via Kubernetes)
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services (e.g., Azure, AWS, BlueMix, Holmes etc.)
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service (ideally, ITIL certified) including monitoring tools like Kibana, Grafana, PowerBI or equivalent
- Knowledge of Windows enterprise ecosystem (office 365, SharePoint, Power BI, TFS, etc.), Servers, Networking, HyperV/ VMWare
- Qualification in Computer Science (or equivalent) to degree or masters level.
- Written and verbal communication to present complex concepts to multi-disciplinary teams
- Container technology, Kubernetes, big data stack, open stack, elastic search
- Lead process for certification e.g., ISO 27001, etc…
- Familiarity with continuous integration / deployment tools
- Familiarity with agile tools e.g., JIRA, TFS, etc…
- Experienced in Python and general application programming
- Working knowledge of web service interfaces.
- Extensive knowledge of software build cycles
- Experience with enterprise e-commerce platforms (Hybris, IBM) a plus.
- Exposure to techniques of Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence, applied to real-world challenges, e.g., predicting maintenance of aircraft and parts
- Exposure to Data Science or Data Analysis techniques, e.g., create dashboards from real-time data and evidence-based recommendations
- Exposure to IoT technology, e.g., create gateway and correction of measurements from environmental sensors
- Exposure to GIS tools & methods, e.g. estimate the overall journey time and travel distance of a bus
- Exposure to DevOps practices, e.g., create container-based apps
- Technical coaching
- Certifications in related areas e.g., Azure Architect, AWS Architect, ITIL, GDPR, TOGAF, etc…
- Experience with/Knowledge of team collaboration and communication tools like JIRA, Slack, Azure DevOps, TFS, VSTS
- Can-do, positive attitude.
- Intelligence, listening and learning.
- Proactivity, energy, enthusiasm.
- Collaborative and non-hierarchical style of working.
- Strong technical skills linked to business acumen.
- Able to command a high-profile presence both internally and externally.
- Able to adjust approach and communication style in empathy with the audience.
- Able to demonstrate courage and conviction to deliver better strategic outcomes
They offer a great package that includes training, development, succession planning, a structured career path to grow and a healthy bonus and share options related to hitting key personal and company milestones.
If joining a growing cutting-edge technology organisation with great prospects in an emerging £billion sector and working with a brilliant motivated team appeals to you, get in touch with us now.
The right candidate will be asked to start immediately.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org