Job Title: Back-end Developer (1-year FTC)
Salary range: £32,657 – £37,109 per annum + excellent benefits
Hours: 36.5 hours per week
Contract: 1 Year Fixed Term Contract
Job Description –
We’re on a mission to make public transport so easy to use; people prefer to use it. You will join a fast-paced product delivery team creating digital products used by 2.2 million people.
You will help to create industry-leading, accessible, digital transport services for the West Midlands.
About the Project
We are on a journey to rebuild wmnetwork.co.uk. Starting with user needs. The website houses a growing number of services.
Think about buying a ticket, checking for disruptions, or planning a journey. Expect to work on a variety of services, each with unique user needs.
The West Midlands is undergoing several major transport infrastructure projects. These will improve our network of bus, trains, trams, sustainable travel and roads.
Millions of people will visit the region for events like the Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022 and Coventry City of Culture 2021.
This project will help people visiting to get around the region. It will also improve the lives of citizens, getting them from A to B while we improve infrastructure.
About the Team
You will join a cross-functional project team, which sits within the WMCA Design Team. We aim to create the best user experience and lead in digital transport.
We work to Government Design Principles and the Service Standard. We highly value user research and evidence-based design. We advocate for users with accessibility needs. This is for everyone. We share our knowledge with government through blogs. We open-source our code.
We work to Agile principles in fortnightly sprints. We do delivery, not meetings. We hold kick-offs, stand-ups, show and tells, as well as retrospectives.
We’re open-minded. If something can be done better, propose it, and we will try it. We have a can-do attitude. We are flexible, social and care about each other.
About the Role
You will primarily develop systems and services to support the front-end development of wireframes and journeys supplied by UX/UI designers. This will mainly involve pulling in various data sources and converting them to APIs for use on the front-end of our website and services.
You will also analyse existing services: making services accessible to meet regulations or troubleshooting and fixing technical bugs.
Designers may come to you for advice on the technical feasibility of their designs. You will push boundaries to create excellent services that exceed expectations.
You will bring your expertise to the table and help upskill other team members. You will be able to challenge and improve team processes – we’re open-minded.
- Support the development team with back-end development of web-based platforms.
- Work closely with other back-end developers in the organisation to understand existing systems
- Defining, implementing and monitoring best practice for the delivery of solutions
- Provide technical feasibility guidance throughout sprints
- Analysis, design, development and testing using languages such as C#, web development and object orientated development
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Create and maintain technical documentation for code that has been written
- Explain, discuss, and justify development decisions eloquently. Give effective feedback and direction to other team members.
- Able to help fix bugs/issues following agreed procedures
- Optimise application(s) for maximum speed and scalability
Who we Need
We’re interested in people who have experience:
- Creating digital services using C#, MSSQL and unit testing
- Web development, ASP.Net, MVC
- With AWS or Azure
- Working with APIs
- Developing using Visual Studio
- Working in agile teams alongside designers, researchers and developers
This role aligns to the software developer skillset, which forms part of the criteria for the application process.
How to Apply
Please provide detailed information in your application outlining your suitability for the post and ensure it is submitted by the closing date.
Make sure you submit your work explaining your contribution in each of them. For example, you can provide links to GitHub, prototypes and live projects.
Closing Date: Friday 22 May 2020
Interview/Assessment: If you are successfully shortlisted, you will be invited to an interview where you will present during your interview. We recognise that you might not be able to dedicate lots of time to this, so have developed two choices:
- finish a short task, which should take a few hours to finish
- prepare a presentation of your recent digital work from brief to delivery
Back-End Developer – Role Profile.pdf
Back End Developer – WMCAs Benefits Calculator.pdf