NOTICE: Due to the current coronavirus pandemic, please check with the event organiser to confirm any changes to scheduling. Please click here to see the UK Government's response and guidance to the coronavirus (COVID-19).
Pathway to Net Zero Investment
October 21, 2021 @ 2:00 pm - 3:45 pm| Free
The Net Zero agenda will require significant up-front investment to transition our existing carbon intensive system, such as how we heat our homes and how we travel, to a lower carbon alternative. The UK Cities Climate Investment Commission (UK CCIC), a partnership between Connected Places Catapult, Core Cities and London Councils, adopts a novel approach to addressing the challenge of financing Net Zero in major cities across the UK.
Ahead of COP26, the UK CCIC will present its findings on the up-front investment needed to address the Core Cities’ & London Councils’ Net Zero pledges. This event will bring together a broad spectrum of high-level stakeholders with a role in Net Zero from government, international organisations, investors, business, academia, media, and NGOs.
Through new research delivered by the UKCCIC, we estimate that approximately £200 billion (in a range of £125bn-£416bn) must be invested to achieve Net Zero across London and UK Core Cities. This is well beyond the normal financing capacity of the public sector alone. At the event we will discuss the opportunities and challenges for private finance to play a leading role in accelerating Net Zero infrastructure investment across commercial real-estate, housing, transport, renewable electricity generation, waste management and other green infrastructure.
Who should attend:
- Banks and other Financial Institutions
- Investment funds & companies interested in decarbonisation
- Local Authorities and City Leaders
- Central and Regional Government
- Large and small businesses, particularly operating in the real estate utilities, transport and low carbon technologies
- International organisations active on climate change and sustainable development
- Community organisations and NGOs who are interested in supporting borough action on the green recovery.
- Connected Places Catapult
- Core Cities
- London Councils